Relocating is a daunting task any day of the week, but relocating to a foreign country is even more challenging unless you know what to do. To ensure that your relocation goes off without a hitch, here is some expert advice and need-to-know information about moving to Mexico.
• Begin planning and organizing immediately, keeping meticulous to-do checklists and allocating tasks to all family members so that you don’t end up doing everything yourself
• Inform your children early on about the move, allowing them to freely express their emotions and to adjust to the idea; if you stay positive, your enthusiasm should eventually trickle down
• Do your homework and book a shipping company with a solid reputation and expertise in overseas relocations, such as Nex International Shipping; transporting goods over the border requires expert knowledge of import/export laws, border regulations, official documentation, packing logistics, and more, which not all shipping companies possess
• Obtain free shipping quotes from at least three well-known companies, making sure that they offer what have become standard services in the industry today, including door-to-door pickup and delivery, help with packing, online shipment tracking, free storage, and more
• Make sure your passports are up to date and obtain copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses, medical, dental, and scholastic records for the whole family
• Time permitting, sign up for Spanish lessons or teach yourself and your children some basic Spanish phrases
• To exchange dollars for pesos, your best bet is the bank, which offers a better rate than most Casa de Cambios (ATMs)
• If you are driving to Mexico, choose the more expensive but safer toll roads versus non-toll roads, where you will enjoy a four-lane highway as opposed to a narrow road with no shoulder, and plenty of gas stations along the way
• Real estate agents in Mexico are not licensed, so be sure to only use someone highly recommended; property prices range from very low for a house in a small village to very high for a beachfront condo
When it comes to overseas shipping to Mexico, you have a choice between several shipping modalities, depending on what items are being sent. Thanks to modern technology, you can ship almost any item of any size or shape overseas these days. Currently, over 300 Mexican cities are serviced by international shipping companies, allowing you to enjoy the help of the pros every step of the way.
For small personal effects and time-sensitive materials, choose international air shipping. Items which weigh over 150 lbs (i.e. furniture, vehicles, and industrial machinery) are typically sent via ocean or freight shipping. Ground shipping is the least expensive option and generally reserved for less-urgent items. To ship a vehicle to Mexico (including cars, motorcycles, trucks, trailers, RV’s, boats, yachts, or wheeled machinery), you can select Roll On/Roll Off (Ro/Ro) or Container Shipping services. You can also ship small packages to Mexico via economy or priority express services. Finally, if you have excess or overweight baggage and want to avoid paying hefty fines at the airport, convenient international luggage shipping is a great alternative, ensuring that your belongings meet you safely and soundly when you arrive in Mexico.